Tonight’s dinner is brought to you by Pinterest, Endless Simmer and Cornerstone Cooking. On the menu for tonight was Crunchy Black Bean Tacos and boy were they delicious. Aside from their tastiness, they are also healthy.
Every once in a while I will make a vegetarian meal. When I do G usually asks “where’s the beef?” Tonight, he did not ask. *GASP*
These were super quick to make and amazingly cheap to make as well. So it is a double thumbs up in my book.
Crunchy Black Bean Tacos
(makes 8 tacos)
2 cups canned black beans drained
1/2 cup minced red onion (G does NOT like onions but I sliced them so small he couldn’t even tell)
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. paprika
2 tbsp. chopped cilantro
6 ounces pepper jack cheese, grated
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 avocado, sliced
8 corn tortillas
– In a medium bowl, add beans along with red onion, cilantro, and spices. Lightly mash all of the ingredients together.
– Grate your cheese and have it ready.
– In a large, non-stick skillet add a 2 oil and heat over medium-high heat. (I used my Cuisinart 5-n-1 Griddle and only had to use spray oil)
– Add one corn tortilla at a time and let each get hot in the oil for a few seconds.
– Then add about 1/4 cup of the bean filling to one half of the tortilla. Top with a sprinkle of grated cheese.
– Using a spatula, carefully fold the tortilla over so it forms a shell. Press down lightly on the tortilla so it holds its shape.
– As the first tortilla cooks, move it to the side and do a second one. Depending on the size of your pan, you should be able to get 2 or 3 tacos at once. If you have a griddle you can do even more at once.
– Cook each taco for about 3 minutes per side until they are nicely browned and crispy.
– When flipping the taco to cook on the other side, use a spatula and flip the taco toward the fold so the filling doesn’t fall out.
– Serve tacos with toppings like salsa, avocados, and sour cream.
Before the fold
Thanks again to Endless Simmer and Cornerstone Cooking for this awesome recipe.